At Owl, we tackle one of the most difficult challenges facing insurers around the globe—the right way. We are committed to using data and AI ethically, so insurers and their clients are comfortable with these technologies, and no longer have to pass the costs of malingering, exaggerated, and criminal claims onto their policyholders and bottom-line. We’re venture-backed and have already acquired some of the largest insurers as paying clients.
We are looking for an NLP Specialist that will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data, and help us make smarter decisions to deliver even better products. Your primary focus will be to apply data mining techniques and statistical analysis to build our text analysis functions. A talented and experienced engineer with a knack for data scraping and NLP would have a significant impact on our product. If you can work with raw data, generate a model, and turn it into an automated pipeline, we’d love to chat!
- Directly working with the CTO to develop and implement NLP-based information extraction solutions
- Writing code to scrape data to feed into NLP models; driving solutions for cleaning noisy text, normalizing it and ensuring high-quality results
- Turning your prototypes into automation pipelines and deploying them to production
- Selecting features, building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- M.S. or PhD. in Computer Science, Data Science or similar
- Industry and academic experience working on a range of ML problems
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art NLP data structures and models
- Experience with NLP techniques such as entity extraction, dependency parsing, coreference resolution, topic modeling, language modeling, text classification, transformer networks and semantic extraction techniques
- Working knowledge of data processing, cloud infrastructure and AWS services
- Experience building and deploying predictive models, web scraping, and scalable data pipelines
- Strong knowledge of Python, and related machine learning tools (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch, NLTK, spaCy, Keras)
- Excellent communication skills
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Data-oriented personality
- At Owl we recognize that your health is a priority, and we do our best to ensure you are well cared for through our fully paid Health, Vision & Dental Benefit Plan.
- Supplement your benefit plan with Owl’s Flexible Spending Account, available for you to use on personal wellness expenses and/or your favourite activities!
- Your professional career is only one chapter of your life - through our 401k matching program, we help get you set up for the future.
- As we all know, there needs to be a balance between work and life. Cultivate this balance with our generous PTO policy which includes;
- 20 Vacation Days
- 5 Sick/Personal Wellness Days
- Recognized Stat Holidays based on your Region
- PTO over the winter holidays
- We exceed industry standards with our competitive base salaries
- Be more than an ‘Employee’ - take ownership through our equity program
- Bring your friends on board! Help grow our team of top performers and receive a cash bonus through our generous, uncapped Employee Referral Program.
- If you grow, we grow! Your leaders at Owl will always facilitate your professional development throughout the journey with us.
- We know there is no blueprint for a team member’s needs. Enjoy flexibility in the workspace through our hybrid working model.
- Build relationships and work towards meeting shared goals in our collaborative team environment.
- Do you have a four-legged friend at home? Bring them into one of our dog friendly offices!
- Build your relationships on the team at one of our weekly pizza lunches or quarterly company-wide events!
- Coming into the office has its perks, including a variety of snacks, high quality coffee, and wine & beer on tap!